Alipay is China's largest digital wallet and mobile and online payments platform, responsible for over half of all digital transactions in China.
Founded in 2004, Alipay was first built as Taobao’s payment arm. It has since expanded into a full-fledged financial services company (now Ant Group) with extensive services including large transaction transfer services, credit card bill payments and more.
Alipay’s presence continues to grow both in China and internationally through a wide network of partners. This includes First Data, which enabled Alipay to be a point of sale for over 4 million retail partners in the United States since 2018.
There are in general two versions of Alipay - 'Zhifubao (Alipay)' for China nationals/companies, and 'Alipay Global' for foreign businesses.
1. Create a business account with an email address on Alipay.
2. Verify account with a business license number, a business bank account, ID card of a legal entity. See a preview below.
1. Create an individual account with a mobile number on Alipay.
2. Verify your account by scanning your ID Card.
1. Creating a business account with an email address on Alipay Global. There are various language settings (English, Spanish, Italian, Russian and French) on the top right corner.
2. Submit your company information for verification. You'll be referred to contact the local team in your country. Alipay Global team usually takes 5-7 business days to respond.
For businesses interested in Alipay Global, there are two types of payment methods for different stores. Each payment has its own specific business requirements.
Authentic and valid business license (company/individual)
Basic information about your store, such as industry, store name, address, photos (including door and interior photos), contact person and contact information
A legally registered overseas company with an authentic and valid business license
Your company's basic information, such as industry, company name, address, contact person and contact information
Have an e-commerce website that is independent, either PC or mobile. The website/app should contain a payment link
Companies with a mobile application should provide an app introduction page in the Apple Store/Android Market.
The products and services must comply with relevant legal provisions and Alipay requirements.